This is the historical bridge colled "First rifle" in Koprivshtitsa - the symbol of the 1876 April Uprising!
No one knows when the first home in Koprivshtitsa was built. The begining is buried in legend. The name of the town is very unusual and playful but the origin is not clear, either. The town was founded by Bulgarian refugees from Samokov.
For many centuries after the town was an important economic, cultural and patriotic centre for Bulgarians and Bulgaria. According to a tradition a notable, beautiful and intelligent Bulgarian woman persuaded the Turkish sultan to issue a decree granting great freedom and privileges to Koprivshtitsa. The decree which was destroyed during the brigand riot granted complete autonomy to the governors of the town. For example: a mosque was never built in Koprivshtitsa.
At its heyday Koprivshtitsa numbered 12,000 people, as many as Sofia before the Liberation; there were 1200,000 sheep, 20,000 cattle, and 2000 stallions and mares. The crafts were related to stock-breeding, the local people were ambitious mercants, for example: one of them - Hadji Nencho Palaveev by name, even had shares of Suez Canal.